In the late 1980s Computer Science was an emerging field and our management felt the need for higher education of women in this field in order to keep pace with the spurt of knowledge in Information Technology. The department of Computer Science was established on 20, July 1987. At present, the department has five well experienced teaching faculties and the student strength has increased to 48. We, as a department create awareness among the public and work towards imparting a basic knowledge in this dynamic field of Information Technology. We also strive to equip our students in the basic programming skills along with other creative skills.
Empower students to become independent lifelong learners in the fast changing and innovative information technology environment.
Emphasize a balance between theory, design and practice with a strong foundation for a successful career.
(a) Provide educational experience to cope up with the rapidly changing field of Computer Science and Information technology.
(b)Develop skills in software development and hardware maintenance for self-employment in Indian & global market.
(c) Support and guide students by training them to meet the requirements of the Industrial standards.
• The College is an Associate member of ICTACT.
• Students are encouraged to participate in inter-collegiate technical symposiums and workshops.
• Training on leadership qualities are given to students by conducting ITBUDS every year – a competition for Matriculation school children organized and conducted by our students.
• The current technology is made aware to the students by organizing an inter-collegiate National Level Workshop CRETECH every year.
• The first International Conference on Advanced Technologies in Computing was organized by the department on 28 February 2014 and the proceeding of the conference was published with ISBN number.
• Internet connectivity is provided to students through Broadband.
• The Department library meets the specific needs of the students. The library is equipped with more than 300 books of recent editions of renowned authors and software tutorial DVDs.
• The students in the final semester do a project in groups of four or five guided by the teaching faculty. Each group is responsible for planning, design and development of the project. It helps to improve their programming skills, communication and presentation skills and also helps them to realize the importance of team work.
• The teaching faculty undergo FDP programmes on current topics like Cloud Computing and Big Data.
• A certificate course on Cloud Computing in association with ICTACT and Emc2 is being conducted for our II and III year students for International Certification.
• The teaching faculty undergo FDP programmes on current topics like Cloud Computing , Big Data and VMWare.
Name & Qualification
Head of the Department
Dr. D. Glory Ratna Mary MCA.,M.Phil.,Ph.D
Her objective is to facilitate student learning in the area of Computer Science and Information Technology. Her area of research is Virtual Reality through VRML. She has authored two books and completed a UGC funded minor project. She assists in the coordination and implementation of academic activities.
Mrs.Y. S. Irine Viola M.Sc (Maths)., MCA., M.Phil., B.Ed., PBDCSA.
She has authored a book "Mathematical Foundations for Computer Science".
Dr.G.Suganthi M.Sc ., M.Phil., B.Ed., PGDCA,Ph.D
She is Guiding 6 Ph.D. Scholars. She has presented 15 papers in national and international conferences and published 8 papers in international journals. She has authored 2 books. She is serving as the IQAC Co-ordinator since 2012.She is the doctoral committee member of St.Joseph′s College(Autonomous) ,Thiruchirapalli. She received two awards namely Shiksha Rattan Pureskar in October 2012 at New Delhi and Best Citizen Award by International publishing house, New Delhi in February 2013.
She published 4 papers in the National and International Conferences and served as an Add-on Coordinator from 2004 to 2012.
Mrs.T. Beula Darling MCA., M.Phil.
She published 9 papers in the National and International Conferences. She is serving as an Add-on Coordinator since 2013.
Prof. Fred Jeyaprakash Memorial Scholarship awarded to the student who secures the highest mark in Part III subjects in the first five semesters.
Janet Ezaradhas Memorial Prize to the best student in II year Computer Science.
Dr. Sagar Moses Merit Prize to the best student in I year Computer Science
Activities of the academic year 2019-2020
Activities of the academic year 2018-2019
The Computer Science Association was inaugurated on 28th June 2018. Dr. S. Arumugha Perumal, HOD of Computer Science, S.T. Hindu College, Nagercoil was the Chief Guest and elucidated the current trends in the field of Computer Science like Block Chain, Internet of Things, Android Programming and Big Data Analytics. A seminar on “Android Programming” was conducted on 4th July 2018 in association with Networkz Systems, Trivandrum for our students. The III B.Sc. Computer Science students attended a workshop on VMWare Foundation Course – Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals in association with ICT Academy of Tamil Nadu on 21st July 2018. The final year students visited Planetarium, Science and Technology, Museum, Trivandrum on 29th September 2018. The department Alumnae met on 25th January 2019 and shared their experiences.
Dr. G. Suganthi and Mrs. J.P. Smitha published a text book on Computer Architecture by Hill lamp Publications, Kanyakumari. Further our faculty members attended various seminars and conferences and presented a number of papers.
M.Soniya, and I.K. Bhavithra of III B.Sc. Computer Science won the second prize for the event Quiz in CGATE 2018, organized by the Department of Computer Science, St. John’s College of Arts and Science, Ammandivilai. M. Soniya of final year won the second prize in English Elocution conducted on 24th January 2019 by Malabar Gold & Diamonds, Meenashipuram, Nagercoil on National Girl Child Day. Also she bagged the first prize in Tech &Non-tech Talk at the State Level Technical Symposium “Brain Power On’19” organized by the Department of Computer Applications, Scott Christian College, Nagercoil on 1st February 2019.
T.G.Sowmiya , T.Subalekshmi , M.Soniya and T.V.Aswini, III B.Sc. Computer Science presented papers in the International Conference organized by the Research Forum of Women’s Christian College, Nagercoil on 22nd February 2019.
Address Women's Christian College