This prestigious Institution, meant for the development of downtrodden women of kanyakumari district has a long lasting tradition since the regime of Maharani of Travancore, Rani Gowri Parvathi Bai in the early 18th century. It is the campus where the pioneer educational institution was started in the Princely State of Travancore.
Rev. Charles Mead, Father of South Travancore Mission came to Travancore in 1818. He made the tourist bungalow of Colonel Munro (the place where the present chapel is located) as the Head Quarters for his missionary work. In October 1819, he established the Mission Seminary, which became the first educational institution in Travancore. Mr.Mead wrote the following about the seminary to his church in England."This will rise,we hope,in time to a mission college for South India". His words came true in Febrauary 1893 when the seminary was raised to a second grade college named 'Nagercoil Christian College' which was affiliated to the University of Madras. At that time, 13 students (7 Christians and 6 Non-christians) got enrolled. With the donation given by Septimus Scott,a new two storey building was built (the present Chemistry-Zoology block) in 1889.Later the College was named after him as Scott Christian College.The main block was built in 1940.In 1970,Scott Christian College was shifted to the new campus in the Kottar-Parvathipuram Road.
On 13th June,1973,Women's Christian College was started in this campus by the Kanyakumari Diocese of the Church of South India. Dr.Joy Gnanadhason,Wife of Moderator I.R.H. Gnanadhason,was the founder Principal.This lush green campus which carries the sacred memories of the missionary work is situated in the center of the town.It was from this campus that the early Christian missionaries spread enlightenment to the areas around.Within a short span of forty years,this College has created a niche for itself by providing quality learning for the hoslistic development of the students.Its motto "Enlightened We Serve" is more appropriate to the mission it fulfills in the field of education. It offers 12 UG ,7 PG, 4 M.Phil courses and 5 Ph.D.programmes.It has a student enrolment of more than two thousand girls.
College at a glance
No. of Students
No. of Faculty
No. of Non-teaching Staff
No. of Aided Departments
No. of Self-financed Departments
CB credit system.Since about the college below
Address Women's Christian College